Assistant Professor of Physics
Experimental Soft Matter
Institute for Advanced Studies in Basic Sciences (IASBS),
No. 444, Prof. Yousef Sobouti Blvd., Zanjan 45137-66731, Iran.
Tel: (+98) 24-33152022
Fax: (+98) 24-33152104
Complex Fluids Lab
(1) “Liquid Rope Coiling on a Solid Surface”,M. Maleki, M. Habibi, R. Golestanian, N. Ribe, and D. Bonn, Phys. Rev. Lett., 93, 214502 (2004).
(2) “Dynamics of Liquid Rope Coiling”, M. Habibi, M. Maleki, R. Golestanian, N. Ribe, and D. Bonn, Phys. Rev. E, 74, 066306 (2006).
(3) “On the Landau-Levich Transition”, M. Maleki, E. Reyssat, D. Quere, and R. Golestanian, Langmuir, 23, 10116 (2007).
(4) “Interfacial Instability of a Confined Suspension under Oscillating Shear”, M. Maleki, H. Pacheco, J. C. Ruiz. S., and E. Clement,
"Traffic and Granular Flow 2007", Springer (2009).
(5) “Landau-Levich Menisci”, M. Maleki, M. Reyssat, F. Restagno, D. Quere, and C. Clanet, J. Colloid Interf. Sci., 354, 359 (2011).
(6) “Drainage on a Rough Surface”, J. Seiwert, M. Maleki, C. Clanet, and D. Quere, EPL, 94, 16002 (2011).
(7) “The Influence of Post-Annealing Treatment on the Wettability of Ag+/Na+ Ion-exchanged Sodalime Glasses”,
A. Razzaghi, M. Maleki, and Y. Azizian, App. Surf. Sci., 270, 604 (2013).
(8) “Coexistence and Transition between Shear Zones in Slow Granular Flows”, Robabeh Moosavi, M. Reza Shaebani, Maniya Maleki,
Janos Torok, Dietrich E. Wolf, and Wolfgang Losert, Phys. Rev. Lett, 111, 148301 (2013).
(9) “Multiple Shear Banding in Granular Materials” Robabeh Moosavi, M. Reza Shaebani, Maniya Maleki, Janos Torok,
and Dietrich E. Wolf, "Traffic and Granular Flow 2011", Springer (2013).
(10) “Stripe formation in horizontally oscillating granular suspensions”, Robabeh Moosavi, Maniya Maleki, M. Reza Shaebani,
J. Carlos Ruiz-Suarez, and Eric Clement, EPL, 107, 34006 (2014).
(11) “Interfacial Instabilities in Sediment Suspension Flows”, Abedi, Maryam, Mir Abbas Jalali, and Maniya Maleki,
J Fluid Mech, 758, 312 (2014).
(12) “The study of drying and pattern formation of whole human blood drops and the effect of thalassaemia and neonatal jaundice on the patterns”,
Leila Bahmani, Mahdi Neysar, and Maniya Maleki, Colloid Surface A, 513, 66 (2017).
(13) “Deformation of a constrained thin elastic sheet over a flat surface due to gravity ”, Maniya Maleki, S. Mahmoud Hashemi, and Aboutaleb Amiri, Int. J. Nonlin. Mech., 106, 155 (2018).
(14) “Random deposition model with friction: Equivalent to ballistic deposition without lateral growth”, M. Maleki, Iran. J. Phys. Res., 19 (3), (2019).
In Complex Fluid Lab, we work on experimental soft matter problems. The systems we are working on include viscous liquids, suspensions, granular materials, and vibrated chains and self-propelled grains. Our projects recently focus on:
Š Pattern formation in suspensions: An initially homogenous sediment will form stripes under oscillating shear
Š Surface growth in 2-D systems of suspensions and colloids: We work on the dynamics of surface growth in sedimenting suspensions or evaporating colloid drops, experimentally and with simulations.
Leila Bahmani, “Investigation of Pattern Formation in Evaporating Bio-colloid Drops”, PhD Thesis, 2016.
Reza Shakuri, “The Study of 1+1 Surface Growth Dynamics Resulting from the Deposition of Granular Particles”, MSc Thesis
Š Large and small deformations in sheared granular matter: We try to measure the velocity of grains in cylindrical shear cells using Particle Image Velocimerty or Speckle Spectroscopy.
Š Macroscopic experimental models for polymers and active matter: A simple way to study the dynamics of microscopic systems like polymers or active microorganisms is to look at an equivalent macroscopic system with similar dynamics. We do experiments using macroscopic chains and self-propelled rods on a shaker to simulate such systems.
Š Surname: Maleki
Š Name: Maniya
Š Gender: Female
Š Date and Place of Birth: March 21, 1978; Tehran, Iran
Š Citizenship: Iranian
Š Marital Status: Married
Š Children: one son, Shayan Mohammad-Rafiee
Š E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Š Present Address: Department of Physics, Institute for Advanced Studies in Basic Sciences (IASBS), P. O. Box 45195-1159, Zanjan 45137-66731, Iran.
Š Tel: +98 24 33152022
Š Fax: +98 24 33152104
Š High School Diploma: 1996, Farzanegan High School, under the Supervision of NODET (National Organization for Development of Exceptional Talents), Tehran, Iran.
Š BSc in Physics: 1996-2001, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran.
Š PhD in Soft Condensed Matter Physics on “Some Examples of Visco-capillary Phenomena”: 2002-2006, Institute for Advanced Studies in Basic Sciences, Zanjan, Iran.
Š Post-doc on “Pattern Formation in Suspensions” and “Wetting Films of Complex Fluids”: Oct 2006-Sep 2007, PMMH, ESPCI, Paris, France.
Š Assistant Professor at Institute for Advanced Studies in Basic Sciences, Zanjan, Iran, Sep 2007- present.
§ Wetting Phenomena
§ Suspensions and Colloids
§ Granular Matter
§ Elastic and Viscous Deformations
§ Surface Growth
§ Active Matter
Š Mahdieh Mohammadi, PhD student.
Š Mahnoush Madani, PhD student.
Š Vahideh Sardari, PhD student.
Š Mehran Erfanifam, PhD student.
Š Yasamin Mohebi, MSc student.
Š Farhad Amerirad, MSc student.
Š Fatemeh Safari, MSc student.
Alumni and theses
Š Khadijeh Shomali, “The Effect of Gravity on the Thickness of Landau- Levich Film”, MSc Thesis, 2007-2010.
Š Leila Bahmani, “Experimental Study of Faraday Waves”, MSc Thesis, 2007-2010.
Š Ahmad Razzaghi, “Change in the Wettability of a Glass Surface as a Result of the Ion-exchange Process”, MSc Thesis, 2008-2010.
Š Aboutaleb Amiri, “Deformation of Thin Elastic Sheets due to the Gravitational Force”, MSc Thesis, 2008-2011.
Š Parsa Pakzad, “Pattern Formation in Drying Droplets Containing E. coli Bacteria”, MSc Thesis, 2008-2011.
Š Mahdi Neysari, “Investigation of the relation of Patterns in Dried Drops of Complete Blood with CBC, Age and three diseases:
Š Thalassemia, Jaundice and Hyperlipidemia”, MSc Thesis, 2011-2014.
Š Seyyedeh Robabeh Moosavi, “Rheology of Granular Materials under Rotational or Oscillatory shear”, PhD Thesis, 2008-2014.
Š Behzad Golshaei, “Hydrodynamic Interaction in a Ratchet Micro-channel”, MSc Thesis, 2011-2014.
Š Vahideh Sardari Kurand, “The Study of Faraday Waves in the Presence of a Floating Elastic Solid Film”, MSc Thesis, 2011-2014.
Š Zahra Zarei, “The Study of Bacteria Deposition Process at the Edge of Evaporating Drops of Colloidal Suspensions”, MSc Thesis, 2011-2014.
Š Reza Shakuri, “The Study of 1+1 Surface Growth Dynamics Resulting from the Deposition of Granular Particles”, MSc Thesis, 2013-2016.
Š Amir Hossein Sadeghi Esfahani, “Buckling of a Floating Viscous Layer under Compression”, MSc Thesis, 2013-2016.
Š Amir Abbas Ahadi, “The Study of Faraday Waves in the Presence of Floating Granular Particles”, MSc Thesis, 2013-2016.
Š Ahmad Razzaghi, “Fabrication of surfaces with controllable wetting properties; and measurement of thin film thickness”, PhD Thesis, 2010-2016.
Š Leila Bahmani, “Investigation of Pattern Formation in Evaporating Bio-colloid Drops”, PhD Thesis, 2010-2016.
o Graduate course of “Soft Matter I”, IASBS, Zanjan, 2007, 2009, 2012 and 2019.
o Graduate course of “Physics Seminar”, IASBS, Zanjan, 2007.
o Graduate course of “Soft Matter II”, IASBS, Zanjan, 2008, 2009, 2011,and 2013.
o Graduate course of “Classical Mechanics”, IASBS, Zanjan, 2007, 2014, 2017.
o Graduate course of “Statistical Mechanics I”, IASBS, Zanjan, 2011, 2014.
o Graduate course of “Statistical Mechanics II”, IASBS, Zanjan, 2012, 2015.
o Graduate course of “Statistical Mechanics III”, IASBS, Zanjan, 2012.
o Undergraduate course of “Thermodynamics I”, IASBS, Zanjan, 2013, 2017.
o Undergraduate course of “Thermodynamics II”, IASBS, Zanjan, 2013, 2018.
o Undergraduate course of “Thermodynamics III”, IASBS, Zanjan, 2014, 2018.
o Graduate course of “Fluid Mechanics I”, IASBS, Zanjan, 2015.
o Graduate course of “Fluid Mechanics II”, IASBS, Zanjan, 2016.
o Undergraduate course of “Physics of Fluids”, IASBS, Zanjan, 2017, 2018.
o Graduate course of “Wetting and Elasticity”, IASBS, Zanjan, 2018, 2019.