Abolfazl Rezaei is an Associate Professor in the Earth Sciences department at IASBS where he has been a faculty member since 2015. His research interests lie in the area of hydrogeology and water resources, ranging from groundwater flow and solute modeling, aquifer system deformation and subsidence, climate engineering and ocean-atmosphere circulations impact on water resources variability. He has also received several national and international funds for financial support of his researches from INSF, TWAS-UNESCO, and water authorities.
Shiraz University, Iran
“Solute transport investigation in aquifer-aquitard systems”
Shiraz University , Iran
“Hydrology and hydrogeology of Kaftar Lake, Fars Province, Iran”
- Large-scale climate variability impacts on water resources
- InSAR and GPS application in groundwater system investigations
- Hydrogeology and hydrochemistry of karstic aquifers
- Analytical and numerical flow and solute transport modeling
- Groundwater Hydrology
- Groundwater Hydraulics and modeling
- Exploration using Electromagnetics
- Engineering Mathematics
- Physical Geology
- Mirzadeh, S.M.J., Jin, S., Chaussard, E., Burgmann, R., Rezaei, A., Ghotbi, S. and Braun, A., (2023). Transition and Drivers of Elastic to Inelastic Deformation in the Abarkuh Plain from InSAR Multi-Sensor Time Series and Hydrogeological Data.Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 128, e2023JB026430. https://doi.org/10.1029/2023JB026430.
- Hussain, A., Hussain, I., Ali, S., Ullah, W., Khan, F., Rezaei, A., Ullah, S., Abbas, H., Manzoom, A., Cao, J. and Zhou, J., (2023). Assessment of precipitation extremes and their association with NDVI, monsoon and oceanic indices over Pakistan.Atmospheric Research, p.106873. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosres.2023.106873.
- Rezaei, A., (2023). Teleconnections between ocean–atmosphere circulations and historical integrated drought in the Middle East and North Africa.Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 195: 775. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-023-11386-4.
- Rezaei, A., Karami, K., Tilmes, S., & Moore, J. C.,(2023). Changes in global teleconnection patterns under global warming and stratospheric aerosol intervention scenarios.Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 23(10): 5835-5850. https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-23-5835-2023.
- Saatsaz, M., Rezaei, A. (2023). The technology, management, and culture of water in ancient Iran from prehistoric times to the Islamic Golden Age. Humanities and Social Sciences Communications, 10(1): 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41599-023-01617-x.
- Hussain, A., Cao, J., Ali, Sh., Ullah, W., Muhammad, Sh., Hussain, I., Rezaei, A., Hamal, K., Akhtar, M., Abbas, H., Wu, X., and Zhou, J. (2022). Variability in runoff and responses to land and oceanic parameters in the source region of the Indus River. Ecology Indicators, 140: 109014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2022.109014.
- Rezaei, A., Pirvand M. (2022). Semi-Analytical Solution for Reactive Contaminant Transport in a Filled-Fractured System with Intervening Rock Matrices: Case Examples of Tritium and Uranium. Journal of Hydrology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2022.127642
- Shabani, M., Masoumi, Z., and Rezaei, A., (2022). Assessment of groundwater potential using multi-criteria decision analysis and geoelectrical surveying. Geo-spatial Information Science. https://doi.org/10.1080/10095020.2022.2069052
- Shahbazi, S., Mousavi, Z., Rezaei, A. (2022). Constraints on the hydrogeological properties and land subsidence through a joint GNSS-well and InSAR-well measurements in Salmas Plain, northwest of Urmia Lake, Iran. Hydrogeology Journal. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10040-021-02416-x
- Rezaei, A. (2022). Large-scale climate variability footprint in water levels of alluvial aquifers across Iran. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 147: 1525–1543. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00704-021-03920-6
- Rezaei, A. (2021). Ocean-atmosphere circulation controls on integrated meteorological and agricultural drought over Iran. Journal of Hydrology, 603: 126926. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2021.126928
- Rezaei, A., Saatsaz, M. (2021). Large-scale climate indices teleconnections with hydrochemical and isotopic characteristics of a karst spring using wavelet analysis. Environmental Earth Sciences, 80, 335. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-021-09636-0
- Rezaei, A. (2021). Chemistry of the karst Sarabkalan Spring, Iran, and controls of PDO and ENSO climate indices on it. Groundwater, 59 (2), 236-244, https://doi.org/10.1111/gwat.13034
- Rezaei, A., Gurdak, J.J., (2020). Large-scale climate variability controls on climate, vegetation coverage, lake and groundwater storage in the Lake Urmia watershed using SSA and wavelet. Science of the Total Environment, 724(2020), 138273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.138273
- Rezaei, A., Mousavi, Z., Khorrami, F., Nankali, H., (2020). Inelastic and elastic storage properties and daily hydraulic head estimates from continuous global positioning system (GPS) measurements in northern Iran. Hydrogeology Journal, 28(2), 657-672. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10040-019-02092-y.
- Rezaei, A., Mousavi, Z., (2019). Characterization of land deformation, hydraulic head, and aquifer properties of the Gorgan confined aquifer, Iran, from InSAR observations. Journal of Hydrology, 579: 124196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.124196.
- Rezaei, A., Rezaeian, M., Porkhial, S., (2019). The hydrogeochemistry and geothermometry of the thermal waters in the Mouil graben, Sabalan volcano, NW Iran. Geothermics, 78: 9-27.
- Masoumi, Z., Rezaei, A., Maleki, J., (2019). Improvement of water table interpolation and groundwater storage volume using fuzzy computations. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 191: 401. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-019-7513-1.
- Rezaei, A., (2018). “Comments on “Quantifying groundwater exploitation induced subsidence in the Rafsanjan plain, southeastern Iran, using InSAR time-series and in situ measurements” by Motagh, M., Shamshiri, R., Haghighi, M. H., Wetzel, H. U., Akbari, B., Nahavandchi, H., ... & Arabi, S. [Engineering Geology, 218 (2017), 134-151]”. Engineering Geology, Vol. 246: 417–419.
- Karimi, H., Raeisi, E., Rezaei, A., (2018). Determination of karst aquifer characteristics using physicochemical parameters (A case study from west of Iran). Geopersia, Vol 8(2): 293-305.
- Rezaei, A., Javadi, H., Rezaeian, M., Barani, S., (2018). Heating mechanism of the Abgarm-Avaj geothermal system observed with hydrochemistry, geothermometry and stable isotopes of thermal spring waters, Iran., Environmental Earth Sciences, 77: 635. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-018-7828-1.
- Rezaei, A., Mohammadi, Z., (2017). Annual Safe Groundwater Yield by Combination of Water Balance Equation and Water Table Fluctuation. Journal of African Earth Sciences, 134:241-248. DOI: 10.1016/j.jafrearsci.2017.06.029
- Rezaei, A., Karimi, H., Zhan, H., (2017). The importance of understanding the hydrogeology and geochemistry of Karst terrains for safely siting dams. Journal of Cave and Karst Studies, 79(1): 48-58. DOI: 10.4311/2016/ES0121.
- Rezaei, A., Zare, M. and Zhan, H. (2016), Aquitard Horizontal Dispersion on Reactive Solute Transport in an Aquifer-Aquitard System. Transport in Porous Media, 113(3): 695-716. DOI: 10.1007/s11242-016-0719-6.
- Rezaei, A., Zhan, H., and Zare, M. (2013). Impact of thin aquitards on two-dimensional solute transport in an aquifer. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 152 (9): 117-136. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jconhyd.2013.06.008
- Rezaei, A., Zare, M., Raeisi, E. and Ghanbari, R. N. (2013). Interaction of a Fresh Water Lake and a Karstic Spring via a Syncline Fold. Ground Water, 51: 305–312. DOI: 10.1111/j.1745-6584.2012.00977.x
- Rezaei, A., Shahriari, F., Cheraghi, M. (2021). Detecting saline water plume in a heterogeneous synthetic aquifer through a combination of POD and geoelectrical surveys. Hydrogeology, 6(2): 42-51 (In Persian with English Abstract).
- Rezaei, A., Soleimani, F. (2021). Contaminant plume modeling in aquifers through prediction-focused approach and geoelectrical data. Iranian Journal of Geophysics, 15 (2), 137-148 (In Persian with English Abstract). DOI: 30499/IJG.2021.279238.1322.
- Shabani, M., Rezaei, A., Masoumi, Z. (2020) Assessment of groundwater potential in Zanjanrood catchment area using spatial analysis and geoelectrical investigations. Scientific Quarterly Journal, GEOSCIENCES 29, 287-307 (In Persian with English Abstract).
- Hajeb, Z., Mousavi, Z., Masoumi, Z., Rezaei, A. (2020) Investigation of Qom plain subsidence using synthetic aperture radar Interferometry and aquifer hydrogeological characterization. GEOSCIENCES 29, 251-258 (In Persian with English Abstract).
- Amiraslani, M., Masoumi, Z., Rezaei, A., (2018). Urban Land use allocation using MCDMs and GIS, Case study: Znajan City. Journal of Remote Sensing & GIS (ISC), Vol. 9 (3) (In Persian with English Abstract).
- Rezaei, A., (2017). Impact of Fractured Aquitards on Solute Transport in an Aquifer-Aquitard System. Journal of Advanced Applied Geology (ISC). 23(7): 95-104 (In Persian with English Abstract).
- Rezaei, A. (2022). reactive-contaminant-transport-modeling-in-a-filled-fractured-system-with-intervening-rock-matrices-case-examples-of-tritium-and-ranium. Global Conference on Geology and Earth Science, 19-20 September, 2022, Online Conference.
- Rezaei, A. (2022). Climate variability controls on drought across Iran. 7th Regional Conference on Climate Change and Global Warming, 3-4 March, 2022, IASBS, Zanjan, Iran.
- Rezaei, A. (2021). Atlantic and Pacific ocean-atmosphere circulations imprint on climate and lake- and groundwater-storage variations in the Lake Urmia basin. 6th Regional Conference on Climate Change and Global Warming, 4-5 March, 2021, IASBS, Zanjan, Iran.
- Rezaei, A., Mousavi, Z., (2019). AQUIFER STORATIVITY AND HYDRAULIC HEAD ESTIMATION FROM InSAR. 3rd, TRIGGER International Conference, 8-10 October 2019, IASBS, Zanjan, Iran.
- Pirvand, M., , A., (2018). Semi-analytical Reactive Contaminant Transport in a Fractured Groundwater System. 14th International Seminar on Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems and Applications, July 17–19, 2018, IASBS, Zanjan, Iran.
- Shabani, M., Masoumi, Z., Rezaei, A., (2018). “Assessment of groundwater potential using spatial analysis.”, 18th Iranian Geophyxical Conference, 8-10 May 2018, Development of knowledge, Research and technology in Geophysics, Tehran, Iran.
- Hajeb, Z., Masoumi, Z., Mousavi, Z., Rezaei, A., (2017). “Detecting land subsidence of Qom plain (Central Iran) with SAR interferometry and investigation hazards”, Eurpean Space Agency (ESA), fringe, 08 June 2017, Aalto University, Helsinki, Finland.
- Rezaei, A., Mousavi, Z., Khorrami, F., Nankali, H.R., (2017). Confined aquifer Stotrage coefficients from GPS data: The Gorgan confined aquifer. 35st National Geosciences Congress, 19-21 Feb 2017, Tehran, Iran (In Farsi).
- Rezaei, A., (2016). Sampling methods for geothermal fluids. 1st International Con. On Environmental Pollutants Sampling and Monitoring (EPSM-2016), 1-3 may 2016, Tehran, Iran.
- Masoumi, Z., Rezaei, A., Maleki, J., (2016), Estimation of Representative groundwater hydrograph using fuzzy calculations and Kriging algorithm. International Conference on Mathematics of Fuzziness, 27-29 April 2016, IASBS, Zanjan, Iran.
- Rezaei, A., Karimi, H., Shabanian, E., (2016). Importance of Karstic Area Hydrogeology on Dam site selection: Kangir Dam, Ilam. 34th National & 2nd International Geosciences Congress, 22-24 Feb 2016, Tehran, Iran.
- Rezaei, A., Karimi, H., Masoumi, Z., (2016). Destruction effect of Gachsaran Evaporate Formation on Water Quality in Kangir Dam Catchment, Ilam. 34th National & 2nd International Geosciences Congress, 22-24 Feb 2016, Tehran, Iran.
- Masoumi, Z., Rezaei, A., (2016). Thiessen Polygon or Interpolation Techniques: Groundwater Unit Hydrograph. 34th National & 2nd International Geosciences Congress, 22-24 Feb 2016, Tehran, Iran.
- Sadeghi-Bagherabadi, A., Rezaei, A., Jalilli, S., (2016). Time-Lag Responses of Groundwater to Precipitation in Zanjan Plain. 34th National & 2nd International Geosciences Congress, 22-24 Feb 2016, Tehran, Iran.
- Rezaei, A., Zare, M., (2014). Estimation of annual direct runoff coefficient using RS and GIS (Namdan watershed). 32th National & 1nd International Geosciences Congress, 16-19 Feb 2016, Shiraz, Iran.
1. Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
a. Published in International Journals:
b. Published in National Journals:
2. Conference Papers: